This is the first in a series of extracts from my book Confident Business Writing demonstrating the benefits of following my Business Writing Process Plan.
Everything you write in your business should have a purpose, otherwise why are you writing it? You’re writing it to achieve something. For example:
– You may be responding to a request for information about your product or service. With your response you will want to impress your prospective client so that they do business with you.
– You may be writing a formal business report for a client based on work that you’ve carried out. You will want your report to be as comprehensive as possible and contain all the information in a format that is easily understood and that your client requires.
– You may be writing marketing content in the form of a newsletter, a flyer, a blog post etc. In each of these you will want to show your business in the best possible light to attract new clients.
The list could go on, but with every piece of writing, consider why you are writing it and what you want to achieve by writing it.
By doing this, it may well influence what you write and the style in which you write it. If you’re writing a blog post, for example, the tone of your writing will be much more informal compared to an official report or tender response.
Consider also the intended recipient or reader. Who are you writing this for? What are they going to think about it and what action do you want them to take?
Taking all these things into consideration will also make you feel more confident when you actually come to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard).
So, I hear you asking, what is the purpose of this book and what did I want to achieve by writing it?
I wanted to emphasise the importance of thinking about your writing and not to just go into it blindly without any real purpose. The Business Writing Process Plan which I write about in the book is a 7-step process. I’ll write about subsequent steps in future blogs.
As well as helping you to become more confident with your writing, I can also help you to make sure that it looks professional and is free from errors. Have a look round this website to find out more.
- You are a small business owner;
- Your business writing is a challenge, for whatever reason;
- You could have a simple process plan to follow when you are writing something in your business that will help to alleviate your worries.
To order your copy, click here.