- You / Your / You’re
So many times I see the word ‘you’ when it should be ‘your’. When typing away it’s easy miss off the ‘r’. MS Word won’t put a red squiggly line under it because it’s spelt correctly.
‘You’re’ is short for ‘you are’.
A spellchecker won’t pick this up for you because they are all spelt correctly.
- There / Their / They’re
They all sound the same but they are all different. ‘Their’ means ‘belonging to them’. ‘There’ means ‘in, at or to that place’. ‘They’re’ is short for ‘they are’.
- The absence or misuse of the apostrophe
Why does this little punctuation mark cause us so many problems? Read my blog “When to use an apostrophe” for an explanation.
- Words that sound the same but have different meanings.
The English language is full of such words and it’s no wonder we get confused as to which is the right one. Read my blog “Writer’s nightmare – which one is right?” for 20 of the most common examples.
- Words with missing letters
There are many examples of words that contain double letters and it’s easy to get confused as to what is the correct spelling, e.g.
Acommodation or Accomodation (correct spelling Accommodation)
Embarass or Embarras (correct spelling Embarrass)
Comittee or Commitee (correct spelling Committee)
If you spell these incorrectly, MS Word should put a red squiggly line underneath and, should you have it switched on, your Auto-Correct function should do its job. You’d be surprised how many of these I see, though.
Working with a proofreader will help you to eliminate these mistakes. Not only will you become aware of mistakes you’re making but you will also learn from having them highlighted and as a result you will become more confident in your own ability when writing in your business.
5 Business Benefits of working with a proofreader on a regular basis
- You’re much more likely to secure new business from a customer who has read your error-free content.
- Error-free content will create a GREAT impression and allow your reader to focus on your message.
- You’ll have more time to do the things that really matter to you.
- You’ll have less worry and more peace of mind when you know that your writing is being checked by a ‘trained’ pair of eyes.
- Your confidence levels will grow as you learn how to avoid making the same mistakes over and over again.
If you recognise yourself here, contact me for a FREE initial conversation.